Thursday, February 12, 2009

PETER NELLHAUS REVIEWS UNINVITED (2003)

Peter Nellhaus wrote a great review on UNINVITED (2003, Lee Su-yeon), which is my most favorite Korean film of all time. You can read his review here:
http://www.coffeecoffeeandmorecoffee.com/archives/2009/02/the_uninvited_2.html

This is my comment in Peter Nellhaus’ blog:

Thank you very much for writing this great review. I love this film, but it's hard to find someone in Thailand who can write interestingly about this film. Most viewers in Thailand don't like this film, because it is not a standard horror film.

My most favorite scene in this film is the one in which the heroine and a female stranger with a pet are in the lift together. The stranger tries to talk to the heroine, but the heroine is not in the mood for talking. I think I understand the heroine’s feeling very well. Sometimes I feel very alienated, without apparent reasons.

I feel very attracted to the world depicted in this film, though it’s very difficult for me to describe what attracts me to it. Your review, in a way, helps make me understand better why I love this film or helps verbalize what I like in this film. I think the reasons why I love this film include:

(in your words)

--“In Lee's film, there is little solace in family, friendship, friends, pets or religion.”

--“In The Uninvited, children and parents perceive each other as monsters. The horror in the film is what these parents and children do to each other. Family is presented as an artificial construct, to be used or discarded as needed.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i found a novel that you will love.
It's called "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

Since Jane Austen's novel has no copyright so some writers rewrite the original text by adding zombie element so Elizabeth Bennet will fight a zombie.

A novel will availble on April and hollywood studios fights for this movie.

celinejulie said...

That is a very interesting idea. It reminds me of some funny ideas about imaginary films, which include:

1.BRIDGET JONES’ DIARY OF THE DEAD

2.LET ME DIE A NECROPHILE (ขอให้ฉันได้ตายในฐานะนักร่วมรักกับศพ)
This is Sonthaya Subyen’s idea. He got the idea for this film title after he had seen the title LET ME DIE A WOMAN (1978, Doris Wishman).

3.TRIUMPH OF THE WILLY
This is also Sonthaya’s idea.

4.SALO THE MUSICAL
This is my idea. The film would be about the mockery of many arthouse traditions.