Monday, May 28, 2007

REPLY TO JESSE, AND COMMENT ON WAKING LIFE

MEMORIES OF THE FUTURE made a comment in my blog here:
http://celinejulie.wordpress.com/2007/05/25/alain-robbe-grillet-interviewed-by-tom-bishop/

This is Celinejulie’s reply:

I also have more books than I can read. I have bought some novels by Duras and Robbe-Grillet, but still haven’t find time to read them yet.

Coincidentally, I saw WAKING LIFE after LA BELLE CAPTIVE, and found that these two films are both about dreams within dreams. However, I think these two films are very different, because WAKING LIFE seems to appeal to “intellect”, while LA BELLE CAPTIVE, similar to other Robbe-Grillet’s films, seems to appeal to “sense”.

I think WAKING LIFE is amazing. Though I watched it with Thai subtitles, I could follow only 10 % of the dialogues. I think I have to watch it again. The dialogues in this film are too difficult for my brain to follow in the first viewing, but I think this is a good thing. WAKING LIFE reminds me of something I feel when I watched some films by Jean-Luc Godard or Hans-Juergen Syberberg. These films are full of interesting information. If these films are webpages, they would be webpages containing 1000 hyperlinks in each of the page. Watching these films inspires one to go to a library afterwards to search for more information about what is referred to in the films.

For example, in the case of Jean-Luc Godard, the film which made me feel strongly about this is LA CHINOISE (1967, A+). There were some scenes in the film in which Jean-Pierre Leaud erased some famous names from a blackboard. I think I would like to pause at these scenes to write down all the names in the blackboard and search for some information about them.

In the case of Syberberg, one scene which inspired me to search for more information is a surreal scene in LUDWIG: REQUIEM FOR A VIRGIN KING (1972, A+), in which Wagner talked about many names, such as Niki de Saint Phalle and Werner Schroeter. I had never heard about Niki de Saint Phalle before, but I got to know her because of this film.

One scene that I like in WAKING LIFE is the silent moment when Caveh Zahedi stares at someone. I find it very touching when a film which is full of talking suddenly becomes silent. This great feeling reminds me of the stock market scene in THE ECLIPSE (Michelangelo Antonioni) when the noisy market suddenly becomes silent.

Below is a photo of NIKE (1984), a sculpture by Niki de Saint Phalle



No comments: