Thursday, May 31, 2007

V. FUNGI MY ENEMY

COPY FROM AN E-MAIL I SENT TO SOMEONE

As for my life, I hope it rains a lot this year. This is the first year in my life that I like rain. I have hated rain all over my life. It makes traveling difficult and it causes flood. But this year’s summer (starting in March in Thailand) is very hot, and the rain has helped a lot in cooling down temperature. I also fear the global warming very much. I fear that there will be severe drought. So the rain will help cooling down my fear, too.

Today I feel a little bit sad, because I have just discovered that many videotapes I haven’t watched have been destroyed by fungus. Oh! I wish I hadn’t spent that much money on videotapes. It’s my stupidity. I should have resisted the temptation to buy videotapes in 1990’s.

Videotapes I have just thrown away without ever watching them:

1.AN AFFAIR OF LOVE (1999, Frederic Fonteyne)
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WKEGW1ZEL._SS500_.jpg

2.THE LIFESTYLE: SWINGING IN AMERICA (1999, David Schisgall)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0196699/

3.THE KID STAYS IN THE PICTURE (2002, Nanette Burstein + Brett Morgen)


I also have to have my video player repaired. I hope there are some service shops that can still repair video player.

I think I will slowly check other videotapes to see if there are some to be thrown away. I will try to limit throwing not more than one videotape per week. I would not have been sad like this if I have watched them. Now I know I’m the real victim of consumerism. I just kept on buying things I don’t use and will never have a chance to use.

My most favorite film recently is BOYHOOD LOVES (AMOUR D’ENFANCE) (2001, Yves Caumon, A+). I don’t know how to describe the good things about this film. Each scene is so simple but it hits exactly right. It balances everything very well. The mood in some scene is serious, but not as manipulative as many other films. The editing is great. One scene I like very much is the scene when the hero comes back home and is standing behind his mother, looking at her. He keeps on looking and we see the minute details of the expressions on his face. And then the film cuts suddenly to another scene, and we have to imagine by ourselves how our hero greets his mother or what he talks to her when they meet for the first time in a long while. Most films would show the conversation between the hero and his mother, but this film just show what comes before that.

A great review for BOYHOOD LOVES:
http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/reviews.php?film_id=8887



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

เสียใจด้วยจริงๆ เรื่องวิดีโอขึ้นรา

วิดีโอของตัวเองที่ซื้อไว้เยอะมากสมัยก่อนก็ขึ้นราเกือบหมดแล้วเหมือนกัน แต่ยังไม่ได้คัดทิ้งเลย แค่เก็บใส่ไว้ในลังกระดาษ

เศร้าจริงๆ

ดีใจด้วยที่ชอบ ฝน ในปีนี้