Saturday, June 25, 2011

MY COMMENT ON "UP, DOWN, FRAGILE" (1995, Jacques Rivette)

OUT 1: NOLI ME TANGERE (1971, Jacques Rivette, 12 hours 40 minutes) will be screened on 25-26 June at the Reading Room in Bangkok. You can read the details of the screening here:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=229626473716719


Here is my comment in imdb.com on UP, DOWN, FRAGILE (1995, Jacques Rivette). I wrote this comment in 2000.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113273/usercomments?start=4

Superb! Excellent! Two-Thumbs Up! Gratifying! Captivating! Sumptuously Made!

That's still less than half of what I want to say for this film. I saw this film once in February, and completely fell in love with it. When it was shown in a cinema here again in October, I went to see it, doubting if my enjoyment would lessen in the second viewing when it loses all its unpredictability. But I found that my love for it grows even stronger. And I don't mind seeing it over and over again. For me, its running time seems like less than an hour. It makes time fly so quickly. Though a part of me think the film ends at the right point and at the right time, another part of me still yearns to see more of these characters. Nathalie Richard and Marianne Denicourt shines so brightly in this movie. Though I had seen a few films of Richard and Denicourt, it is this film that made me fall in love with them. From this film, I can see that Richard is very talented, and Denicourt is really alluring. I hope they will be very famous and I will have a chance to see many more of their works. Andre Marcon (Roland) is quite good too. As for Laurence Cote (Ida) and Bruno Todeschini, though they might be talented, their roles here are not of very pleasant, cheerful or likeable characters, and seem to require less range of expressive emotions than other characters. (Bruno is a lot more gorgeous in "Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train.") The choreography in this movie is my most favourite of all time. I have never seen any choreography like this before. I also like one irony in this film: Ninon wants to reveal a character's wrongdoing ,but his wrongdoing is in a way similar to her own. Songs here are very beautiful, and I'm quite impressed by Enzo Enzo. I really like the "shock therapy" scene, and an early scene in which Denicourt shows her unexpected strength is not only very comical, but also unforgettable to me.I think I would have a great fun if I could live my life in Rivette's universe, as Ninon, Louise, Celine, or Julie. Though "Celine and Julie Go Boating" is still my most favourite film by Rivette, I think "Haut bas fragile" deserves to be called one the 10 best films of the 1990's.


This is Jonathan Rosenbaum's review on UP, DOWN, FRAGILE:
http://www.jonathanrosenbaum.com/?p=6729

This is a photo of Nathalie Richard.





No comments: