Saturday, February 18, 2012

IT GETS BETTER (2012, Tanwarin Sukkhapisit, A++++++++++)

What I like the most in this film may be its intricate plot, though I feel some parts of the film seem too rushed, especially the scene in which a divorce decision is made. There are so many decisions made in five minutes in that scene that I think it would have taken a week for me to make so many important decisions like that.

Apart from that point, I like nearly everything in this film. I also like it very much that there's no real redemption for the homophobic father in this film. Many films in this world try to teach us that we should not neglect our own parents. However, every parent is different, and some parents really deserve to be punished, neglected, or kept at a distance. IT GETS BETTER is one of very few films that I love because it presents a father who may deserve to be neglected or kept at a distance. (That is the same reason why CRY IN SILENCE (2006, J. G. Biggs) is one of my most favorite films of all time.)

If I have to screen IT GETS BETTER with another film, I may choose to screen it together with INCENDIES (2010, Denis Villeneuve, Canada, A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++), because both films deal with unpredictable family relationships and have excellently intricate scripts.





No comments: