Saturday, January 19, 2008

BIRTH OF THE SEANEMA SHOWN ON FEB 16

My eighth poll ended with 14 votes, including one vote from me for BIRTH OF THE SEANEMA. Thanks a lot to everyone who participated in it.

The result is as follows:

I LOVE THESE SLOW FILMS VERY MUCH. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1.GOODBYE, DRAGON INN (2003, Tsai Ming-liang, Taiwan) got 8 votes, or 57 %

2.BLISSFULLY YOURS (2002, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Thailand) got 7 votes, or 50 %

3.DAMNATION (1988, Bela Tarr, Hungary)
+THE SUN (2005, Alexander Sokurov, Russia)
Each of them got 4 votes, or 28 %

5.LA BELLE NOISEUSE (1991, Jacques Rivette, France)
+ QUINCE TREE OF THE SUN (1992, Victor Erice, Spain)
Each of them got 3 votes, or 21 %


7.ANGEL’S FALL (2005, Semih Kaplanoglu, Turkey)
+ BIRTH OF THE SEANEMA (2004, Sasithorn Ariyavicha, Thailand)
+ FATE (1994, Fred Kelemen, Germany)
+ RAIN DOGS (2006, Ho Yuhang, Malaysia)

Each of them got 2 votes, or 14 %


11.ARIES: A POEM FOR KATIA (2004, Faozan Rizal, Indonesia)
+AUTOHYSTORIA (2007, Raya Martin, Philippines)
+ DYING AT A HOSPITAL (1993, Jun Ichikawa, Japan)
+ THE KITE (2002, Aleksai Muradov, Russia)
+ THE LEFT-HANDED WOMAN (1978, Peter Handke, West Germany)
+ THE LONG DAY CLOSES (1992, Terence Davies, UK)
+ NATHALIE GRANGER (1972, Marguerite Duras, France)
+ NO PLACE, NOWHERE (2004, Jose Luis Torres Leiva, Chile)
+ OURS DOESN’T WORK (2003, Nicolas Alvarez, Ivan Wolovik, Argentina)
+ SOMETHING MORE THAN NIGHT (2003, Daniel Eisenberg, USA)

Each of them got 1 vote, or 7 %


--I’m glad GOODBYE, DRAGON INN won the most votes, because I like this Tsai Ming-liang’s film very much. I think I like it because its lack of story and its lack of humor. GOODBYE, DRAGON INN certainly has some humor, but maybe not as much as THE WAYWARD CLOUD (2005). I think the humor and the stories in Tsai Ming-liang films create some distance between me and his films, but when the story and the humor are reduced, such as in GOODBYE, DRAGON INN, I can get more pleasures from watching it. I also love A CONVERSATION WITH GOD (2000, Tsai Ming-liang) very much, and I think it is because this film also lacks story and humor.

If anyone loves Tsai’s films but feels some distance from Tsai’s humor like me, I strongly recommend JACKY (2000, Fow Pyng Hu, Brat Ljatifi, Netherlands, A+).

--I just got a brochure of 2008 BANGKOK FRINGE FESTIVAL, and I screamed in delight when I saw the film program in this festival. Films in this festival include INVISIBLE CITY (2007, Tan Pin Pin, Singapore), A STUDY FOR THE SKIES (1989, Raymond Red, Philippines), TULI (2006, Auraeus Solito, Philippines), A SHORT FILM ABOOUT THE INDIO NACIONAL (2006, Raya Martin, Philippines), and BIRTH OF THE SEANEMA (2004, Sasithorn Ariyavicha, Thailand), which is one of my most favorite films of all time.

I don’t know why the website of Patravadi Theatre doesn’t include the film schedule yet. I just knew about it from the brochure. I hope Patravadi’s website will publish the film schedule soon.
http://www.patravaditheatre.com/

Unfortunately, I have to work on 2-3 February, so I can’t go to see Tan Pin Pin’s and Raymond Red’s film, but I think I will go to see TULI and BIRTH OF THE SEANEMA on February 16 at 15.00 hrs, and A SHORT FILM ABOUT INDIO NACIONAL on February 17 at 17.00 hrs.

No comments: