Thursday, January 07, 2010

A HEARTFUL OF LOVE (2005, Akihiko Shiota, A)

I like Hideaki Ito very much in A HEARTFUL OF LOVE. I think the film's latter part is a bit boring, but I like its fantasy idea. It reminds me of some of my favorite films about miracles, such as GOODBYE FOR TOMORROW (1995, Nobuhiko Obayashi), FIELD OF DREAMS (1989, Phil Alden Robinson), PEGGY SUE GOT MARRIED (1986, Francis Ford Coppola), HEART AND SOULS (1993, Ron Underwood), ALWAYS (Steven Spielberg), GROUNDHOG DAY (1993, Harold Ramis), and FREQUENCY (2000, Gregory Hoblit). I love this kind of films.

1 comment:

celinejulie said...

As for Akihiko Shiota, I love HARMFUL INSECT very much. I haven't seen CANARY yet, but I think DON'T LOOK BACK (1999) and DORORO (2007) are fine. I gave these two films A-. I fell asleep while I was watching YOMIGAERI (2002), so I can't give a grade to this film yet. Hahaha.

Somehow I wonder if Akihiko Shiota is an auteur or not. His films are good, but I don't know what his main characteristics are. Isao Yukisada is another good director who makes me doubt if he is an auteur or not.