Tuesday, November 27, 2012

IT ALL BEGINS WITH THE BOOK "FILMVIRUS 1" (1998)

IT ALL BEGINS WITH THE BOOK "FILMVIRUS 1" (1998)

If I hadn't bought the Thai book FILMVIRUS 1, edited by Sonthaya Subyen, in 1998, I neither would have bought nor would have been given the other books in this photo. It can be said that I was seriously infected by the book FILMVIRUS 1. FILMVIRUS 1 made me fall completely in love with the world of alternative cinema. After reading this book, which contains articles about Jean-Luc Godard, Michelangelo Antonioni, Andrei Tarkovsky, Luis Buñuel, Raoul Coutard, an interview with Dima El Horr by Apichatpong Weerasethakul, etc., I wanted to see more and more alternative films, and wanted to read more and more about alternative cinema. That's why I bought/photocopied/was given the books about Apichatpong Weerasethakul, Bill Viola, Cesare Zavattini, Derek Jarman, James Benning, Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Marie Straub + Danièle Huillet, John Huston, Marguerite Duras, Michael Powell, Roman Polanski, Simone Signoret, cult films, experimental films, video art, African cinema,  Bollywood films, feminist films, French cinema, German cinema, Glasnost cinema, Iberian cinema, Southeast Asian cinema, and books written by Fredric Jameson, Jonathan Rosenbaum, Manny Farber, Peter Wollen, Pier Paolo Pasolini, Raymond Durgnat, Scott MacDonald, Thomas Elsaesser, etc., after reading FILMVIRUS 1. It can be said that the book FILMVIRUS 1 is my starting point for all of this.

ทำไมฉันถึงซื้อหนังสือต่างๆในรูปนี้ คำตอบก็คือว่ามันเป็นเพราะฉันซื้อหนังสือ FILMVIRUS 1 ในปี 1998 และมันก็ทำให้ฉันมีความสุขกับการดูหนังอย่างมากๆ และกระตุ้นให้ฉันอยากอ่านหนังสือเกี่ยวกับภาพยนตร์เล่มอื่นๆต่อไปยังไงล่ะ

Thanks to Sonthaya Subyen, Graiwoot Chulphongsathorn and Sompot Chidgasornpongse for giving me some books in this photo.

My most favorite article in FILMVIRUS 1 is obviously an article about Alain Robbe-Grillet. I fell completely in love with Robbe-Grillet after I saw his films TRANS-EUROP-EXPRESS (1967) in 1996, and EDEN AND AFTER (1970) in 1997. But I couldn't find any Thai articles about Robbe-Grillet to read at that time. I have been reading Thai magazines about films since 1987, but from 1987 to 1997 I didn't come across any articles about films directed by Robbe-Grillet in the Thai magazines that I bought. So I felt extremely glad to find a Thai article about Robbe-Grillet's films in the book FILMVIRUS 1. It's like the heaven has answered my prayer.

My favorite quote from the book FILMVIRUS 1:

"ผลงานหนังของรอบบ์-กริเยท์ทุกเรื่องนั้นมีที่มาจากกรอบรับรู้ส่วนตัวของเขาต่อ "คตินิยม" ที่มีอยู่ในสังคมของเราโดยทั่วไป จึงมีความจำเป็นที่เราต้องเสพงานหนังของเขาด้วยท่าทีที่แตกต่างจากงานหนังเน้นตลาดหรือที่มีโครงสร้างแบบ "ของตาย" เรื่องอื่นๆ และปรับจิตใจเปิดกว้างต่อการตีความอันหลากหลาย หนังของเขาแต่ละเรื่องมุ่งเน้นที่เพทนรส (sense) มากกว่าปัญญารส (intellect) ยิ่งกว่านี้หนังของเขาทุกเรื่องก่อตัวขึ้นเป็นเช่นการเดินทางด้วยจักษุภาพ (Visual) ภายในมิติของเสียง ไม่ใช่เป็นการแสดงถึงภาวะทางจิตใจของ "เนื้อเรื่อง" การกำหนดมโนภาพ (Preconception) ของเราจึงต้องถูกทำลายเสียก่อนที่จะก้าวเข้าไปอุปโภคงานของเขา ดังที่รอบบ์-กริเยท์ให้สัมภาษณ์เน้นหนักถึงประเด็นนี้ว่า หลังจากได้ดู PLAYING WITH FIRE (1975) หนแรก คนดู "จะไม่เข้าใจสิ่งใดเลย แต่ได้เห็นและได้ยินเพียงเท่านั้น ไม่มีความจำเป็นใดๆต้องเข้าใจ" ฉะนั้นการที่คนดูเชื่อในสัญชาติเวท (Instinct) จึงสำคัญกว่าการเชื่อในพุทธิปัญญา (Intellect) ของตนสำหรับการดูหนังของรอบบ์-กริเยท์"

You can watch EDEN AND AFTER (1970, Alain Robbe-Grillet), which is one of my most favorite films of all time here:



No comments: