Saturday, May 04, 2013

BOUNDARY (2013, Nontawat Numbenchapol, documentary, A+30)


BOUNDARY (2013, Nontawat Numbenchapol, documentary, A+30)

 

I like it very much that the film lets us hear the opinion of a Cambodian soldier on the Preah Vihear temple dispute, and also what the Thai villagers say about how much they suffered from the border dispute.

 

Apart from the main topic of the film, there are also two scenes which impress me in an unexplainable way, the first one is the party scene in a village, in which we see something like a disco light at the beginning of the scene. The second one is the scene in a boat.  I’m not sure why I like these two scenes very much. Is it because these scenes are exotic for Bangkokians like me? Or is it because these scenes make people who appear in the film look more like human beings whose importance is not judged by how much they are relevant to the border dispute or the political conflict? The party scene and the boat scene may have nothing to do with the political conflict and the border dispute, but I’m glad that these two scenes are included in this film. It makes the film harder to define for me.




No comments: