Thursday, March 20, 2008

DID I SEE "DEADLY SNAIL VS. KUNG FU KILLERS"?

My fourteenth poll ended with four votes, including one vote from me for THE MISSION. Thank you very much for everyone who participated in it. Here is the result:

THESE FILMS MAY HAVE SOMETHING CONCERNING THE COLONIAL ERA. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1.GANDHI (1982, Richard Attenborough, UK/India)
+THE MISSION (1986, Roland Joffe, UK)

Each of them got 2 votes, or 50 %.


3.THE LAST COMMUNIST (2006, Amir Muhammad, Malaysia)
+THE LOVER (1992, Jean-Jacques Annaud, France/Vietnam)

Each of them got 1 vote, or 25 %.


5.THE BEWITCHING BRAID (1996, Yuanyuan Cai, Macau)
+CLEAN SLATE (1981, Bertrand Tavernier, France)
+COBRA VERDE (1987, Werner Herzog, Ghana/West Germany)
+DROPS OF LIGHT (2002, Fernando Vendrell, Portugal/Mozambique)
+THE FANTASTIC PLANET (1973, Rene Laloux, Czechoslovakia/France)
+THE MURMURING COAST (2004, Margarida Cardoso, Portugal)
+NED KELLY (2003, Gregor Jordan, Australia)
+NEVER SHALL WE BE ENSLAVED (1997, Kyi Soe Tun, Myanmar)
+NOWHERE IN AFRICA (2001, Caroline Link, Germany)
+QUEENIE (1987, Larry Peerce, USA, 233 min)
+RIZAL IN DAPITAN (1997, Tikoy Aguiluz, Philippines)
+A SHORT FILM ABOUT THE INDIO NACIONAL (2005, Raya Martin, Philippines)
+THE SIAM RENAISSANCE (2004, Surapong Pinijkhar, Thailand)
+UTU (1983, Geoff Murphy, New Zealand)
+VICTOR SCHOELSCHER, L’ABOLITION (1998, Paul Vecchiali, France)
+WHITE MISCHIEF (1987, Michael Radford, UK)

Each of them got 0 vote.


--Since I have no knowledge in history, I have nothing to say about the colonial era. I voted for THE MISSION, because I love this film very much and this film is very important for my life as a film addict. If I remember it correctly, THE MISSION is the first film that makes me cry in theatre. It’s the scene when Robert De Niro is dying, watching Jeremy Irons walking bravely.

I don’t remember which is the first film I saw in theatre. I only remember vaguely that I watched a children’s film in theater when I was very young. My school took me and my friends to see some good Thai films when I was in elementary school. I remember going with my family to see a Chinese film starring Yu On-on when I was very young. I don’t know the English title of this film. The Thai title of this film can be translated as THE GODDESS OF WHITE SHELL. I don’t know if the exact title of this film is DEADLY SNAIL VS. KUNG FU KILLERS (1977, Hueng Ling) or not.
http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/reviews/deadlysnailvskungfukillers.html

I also saw GANDHI in theatre when I was very young. I think there is a massacre scene in this film, and it is unforgettable.

Anyway, I started going to see a film alone when I was in secondary school and very crazy for Tom Cruise. The first film that I went to see alone is THE COLOR OF MONEY. I think I became a film addict after that. THE MISSION is also one of the first films that I saw alone. It was such a powerful experience for me. Every time I thought about the soundtrack of this film, I cried. I think I was like this for ten years. Now I can listen to the soundtrack of THE MISSION without crying.

2 comments:

Matthew Hunt said...

For me, the interesting thing about the massacre in Gandhi is that, afterwards, the screen goes black for several minutes to give the viewer time to contemplate or recover from the massacre. But Gandhi got (one of) my votes mainly because of Ben Kingsley - he is an amazing actor. Gandhi and Sexybeast, for example, or Gandhi and Death & The Maiden - they are total contrasts.

celinejulie said...

I can't remember the black screen. Maybe it's because I was too young. It's 25 years ago. If I remeber it correctly, there was an intermission. I don't know if the black screen time was used as the intermission time here or not.

I haven't seen SEXY BEAST yet, but I like Ben Kingsley in HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG very much.

Though I like Ben Kingsley, I decided not to watch BLOODRAYNE (2005, Uwe Boll). However, I still wonder why Ben Kingsley and Geraldine Chaplin decided to star in an Uwe Boll's film. Maybe I have to see this film one day to find out why. Hahaha.