Thursday, March 20, 2008

MY COMMENT IN JESSE'S BLOG

This is my comment in Jesse’s blog:
http://memoriesofthefuture.wordpress.com/

--I totally agree with at least three things you wrote:

1.” I’m really allowing myself to merely be exposed to the things that interest me, and see where that eventually takes me.”

That’s what I’m doing, too. And I think that is the right thing to do.


2.” One of my resolutions for 2008: to undue my habit of watching a film or reading a book or whatever through a filter of “now what interesting thing am I going to say about this when I write my review?” I see now that such a mindset is severely limiting, and might even be robbing me of quite a bit of enjoyment I might not even realize I’m missing.”


Yeah, that’s absolutely right. Writing about a film should not lessen any enjoyment you can get from a film. I used to spend some time thinking about what I should write in my blog, but whenever I thought about that, it would distract me from any enjoyment I could get from other things I was experiencing at that moment. If I thought about my blog when I was watching a film, that thought would distract me from enjoying the film at that moment. If I thought about my blog when I was sipping coffee, that thought would distract me from really enjoying the taste of coffee. I will not let my blog or my writing preventing me from enjoying other things in life.


3.” it is impossible to expect ever reaching a place of “knowing enough,” and as a result it should never serve as a deterrent for writing”

That’s absolutely true, too.


--I don’t know how much you will write here in the near future. I just want to tell you that you should do whatever you feel happy to do. Whenever you feel happy to read, read. Whenever you feel happy to write, write. But there’s at least one thing I hope you will continue doing: whenever you experience such an indescribable joy from any film, any song, any book, or anything in your life, I hope you will let us readers know. If you don’t have time to analyze those great things you enjoy, at least I hope you make just a simple list of them. It would be very useful for us.

I would have never listened to Nina Simone or Regina Spektor if it’s not because of you, Jesse.

2 comments:

Matthew Hunt said...

Regarding #2, I sometimes decide not to watch a film because of my habit of writing blog reviews for all the interesting films I see for the first time! I know that if I watch a film for the first time, I'll probably feel obligated to write about it on my blog, so instead I'll watch a DVD I've seen many times already ;-) That's not good!

celinejulie said...

I also feel obligated to list all the films I saw in my blog. But since the beginning of 2008, I haven't found time to do that--making a list of the films I just saw. I hope I will find time to do that soon.