Sunday, September 30, 2007

A PETITION TO HELP THE BURMESE PROTESTERS

--Tintin Cooper, an artist whose installation show YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE was held in Bangkok early this year, forwarded me this link to sign a petition to stand with the Burmese protesters. I have to thank Tintin a lot about it. Please sign the petition if you agree with the Burmese protesters.
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/

--What happens in Myanmar saddens me very much. I hope its people will win soon.

--What happens in Myanmar also makes me ask myself if my hands are clean from the blood of the Burmese people. It is because of the film THE BANGKOK BOURGEOIS PARTY (2007, Prap Boonpan, A+) which makes me ask myself this question. If I don’t remember it wrongly, this film talks about the fact that Thailand buys some electricity from the Burmese government, thus Thai people who use the electricity indirectly support the Burmese government. I don’t know if what is said in the film is true or not, and I don’t know the current details about the Thai-Burmese electricity projects. But if what the film said is true, I hope the Thai government will stop buying the energy or electricity from this evil Burmese government soon.

--What happens in Myanmar also reminds me of some films. One of them is CEASE! FIRE! (2003, Saw Eh Doh Wah, Scott O’Brien, A+), a documentary about the suffering of some ethnic minorities in Myanmar. I have been told that the democracy struggles and the ethnic struggles in Myanmar are different, but I just hope that all the problems will end soon. I also hope that more and more people can see the film CEASE! FIRE!. This is the kind of film which might not have many aesthetic values, but it was surely made to serve the good purpose of the filmmakers—to show the world the suffering of the ethnic minorities in Myanmar.

More information about the film can be read from the link below:
http://www.wildspaces.foe.org.au/cease.htm

No comments: