Thursday, August 01, 2013

Favorite quote from Sarah Polley

 
Favorite quote from Sarah Polley
 
(from Film Comment magazine, May/June 2013)
 
“I once asked Sam Shepard why he wasn’t writing screenplay anymore. He said it was impossible to write anything decent these days because the funding process involves a million questions about what everything means. Why does this character say what they say? What does this action mean? IF WRITING WORKS, IT’S USUALLY BECAUSE SOMETHING IN YOUR UNCONSCIOUS HITS SOMETHING IN THE VIEWER’S UNCONSCIOUS AND NEITHER KNOWS WHY IT HAS SUCH AN IMPACT. IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TRYING TO SAY AND SOMEONE RECEIVES IT AS SUCH, IT AUTOMATICALLY LOSES ITS POWER. NOT KNOWING IS IMPORTANT. I feel like that now. I kind of know why I was saying the things I was saying. So why say them anymore?”
 
The photo comes from ZABRISKIE POINT (1970, Michelangelo Antonioni), of which Sam Shepard is a co-screenwriter.
 

No comments: