Wednesday, August 14, 2013

DOUBLE BILL FILM WISH LIST: ANARCHY IN MY MIND


DOUBLE BILL FILM WISH LIST

 

I want to screen these films together for my own fun.

 

1.ANARCHY IN MY MIND (2012, Narong Srisophab, 15.56min)

ผมไม่ใช่คอมมิวนิสต์ (ณรงค์ ศรีโสภาพ)

+

LA VIE DE JÉSUS (1996, Bruno Dumont)

 

These two films are very different from each other, but I want to screen them together to compare and contrast how rural life is portrayed in Thailand and in France. The protagonists of both contemplative films are lonely young men. The village in LA VIE DE JÉSUS seems to suffer from racism, while the village in ANARCHY IN MY MIND doesn’t treat the protagonist fairly because of some superstitious beliefs. Both films are works of low key realism. The mood and the pace of both films are great.

 

 

2.DIFFERENCE (Krissana Tepakam, 6.44min)

ความแตกต่างระหว่าง... (กฤษณ เทพาคำ)

+ P’MEW (2013, Norapat Sakartornsup, documentary)



 

DIFFERENCE is about the antagonistic relationship between a university student and a copyshop girl. P’MEW is a documentary about a woman who works in a shop in a university.

 

 

3.FATHER AND I (2013, Tanaphon Inthong, documentary)

+

HOMEMADE SAKE (2001, Satoshi Ono)



 

Both films are home movies made by the filmmakers who turned a camera on his own father. FATHER AND I lets us witness a game played between the son and the father. HOMEMADE SAKE lets us witness the father of the filmmaker making sake.

 

4.FRIENDS SHIFT (2013, Boonyarit Wiangnon, 36.51min)

FRIENDS SHIFT (บุญฤทธิ์ เวียงนนท์)

+

HOW I GOT INTO AN ARGUMENT (MY SEXUAL LIFE) (1996, Arnaud Desplechin)

 

Both films deal with highly fluid relationships among a group of friends. The emotions and feelings in both films are very realistic.

 

 

5.GREEN HOUSE EFFECT I (Kompai Kangrang, documentary, 31.20min)

GREEN HOUSE EFFECT I (คมไผ่ แข็งแรง)

+

IN COMPARISON (2009, Harun Farocki, documentary)

 

IN COMPARISON shows us how to make brick in many countries, and also shows us the differences between the traditional ways and the modern ways of making brick. GREENHOUSE EFFECT I shows us how to build a house in a rural part of Thailand. If IN COMPARISON (unintentionally) makes me fear the modern technology used in making brick and houses, GREENHOUSE EFFECT I doesn’t make me trust traditional houses, either. Hahaha

No comments: