Saturday, December 08, 2007

MY GUILTY OMISSIONS

This is my comment in Girish’s blog:
http://www.girishshambu.com/blog/2007/12/defining-moments-in-moviesrosenbaums.html

--I haven’t seen about 800 films in Rosenbaum’s list, including many famous ones, such as:

ELEPHANT (2003), ROSETTA (1999), DO THE RIGHT THING (1989), A WOMAN UNDER THE INFLUENCE (1974), 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY (1968), NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959), THE BICYCLE THIEF (1948), THE RULES OF THE GAME (1939), THE WMAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA (1929), INTOLERANCE (1916)

But I love Rosenbaum’s list, because it has many films I have never heard of, and because it has many films I truly adore, such as THE DEATH OF MARIA MALIBRAN (1971), NATHALIE GRANGER (1973), INDIA SONG (1975), CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING (1974), TICKET OF NO RETURN (1979), THE HOURS AND TIMES (1992), THE LONG DAY CLOSES (1992), THE LAST BOLSHEVIK (1994), FROM THE JOURNALS OF JEAN SEBERG (1995), and MYSTERIOUS OBJECT AT NOON (2000).

--I like that Adrian includes the lift scene in DRESSED TO KILL in the book “Defining Moments in Movies”, because many times I am alone in a lift, I can’t help thinking of that scene. It really scares me.

4 comments:

Matthew Hunt said...

Please see 2001, The Bicycle Thief, The Rules Of The Game, Intolerance, and The Man With A Movie Camera as soon as possible! :-)

Also, Rosenbaum's list is in his excellent book Essential Cinema, which also includes a collection of his film reviews.

celinejulie said...

Hi, Mat

Speaking about THE RULES OF THE GAME, a friend of mine who saw GARDENS IN AUTUMN (2006, Otar Iosseliani, A+) wondered if a hunting scene in this film is inspired by a scene in THE RULES OF THE GAME or not. I couldn’t give him any answers because I haven’t seen THE RULES OF THE GAME yet. But his question underlines the importance of THE RULES OF THE GAME, and makes me realize that knowing classic film is still very useful for contemporary film viewing. :-)

As for now, I have seen only two films by Jean Renoir—THE GRAND ILLUSION (1937) and TONI (1935).

Matthew Hunt said...

I actually prefer Grand Illusion. It seems to have more visual style than Rules Of The Game, plus the characters have more humanity than the aristocrats in Rules. However, I've only seen Rules on VHS whereas I saw Illusion in 35mm, which might also be a factor.

I havenm't seen Gardens In Autumn, but there is indeed a bird-hunting scene in Rules.

celinejulie said...

My English teacher told me that Jean Renoir once said that he had hoped that making the film GRAND ILLUSION might be able to help stopping World War II from occurring, but later he found out that his hope was actually his grand illusion.

I don't know if what my teacher told me is true or not. But it is very sad. It also reminds me of FAHRENHEIT 9/11. I think Michael Moore might hope that making this documentary might be able to prevent George W. Bush from winning the re-election.

I think Robert Redford may think the same kind of things when he made LION FOR LAMBS. But I really hope that he succeeds and whatever he hopes for will not turn out to be his grand illusion.