Saturday, December 01, 2007

THIRD POLL: WHICH IS YOUR MOST FAVORITE FILM ENDING?

My second poll ended with only 3 votes, and one was from me. Hahaha. I vote for Nikolai Makarov in this poll.

The second poll is THESE ARE FRED KELEMEN’S FAVORITE PAINTERS. WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE? And the result is:

1.EL GRECO + NIKOLAI MAKAROV + EGON SCHIELE

Each of them got 1 vote or 33 %.

4.ANSELM KIEFER, ERNST LUDWIG KIRCHNER, MARK ROTHKO got no vote.

A lot of thanks for everyone (actually only two persons) who participated in it. :-)

----------------------------------------------------

Though many people aren't interested, I still find creating a poll a nice excuse for me to make some useless list. So my third poll is:

WHICH IS YOUR MOST FAVORITE FILM ENDING AMONG THESE?

1.L'ARGENT (ROBERT BRESSON, FRANCE)

2.THE ARMY OF SHADOWS (JEAN-PIERRE MELVILLE, FRANCE)

3.THE CASTLE (MICHAEL HANEKE, AUSTRIA)

4.LA CEREMONIE (CLAUDE CHABROL, FRANCE)

5.JEANNE DIELMAN, 23 QUAI DU COMMERCE, 1080 BRUXELLES (CHANTAL AKERMAN, BELGIUM)

6.LOVELY RITA (2001, JESSICA HAUSNER, AUSTRIA)

7.THE MARRIAGE OF MARIA BRAUN (RAINER WERNER FASSBINDER, WEST GERMANY)

8.NO PLACE TO GO (OSKAR ROEHLER, GERMANY)

9.HELL WITHOUT LIMITS (1977, ARTURO RIPSTEIN, MEXICO)

10.TO BE TWENTY (1978, FERNANDO DI LEO, ITALY)

Please feel free to share your comment here.

3 comments:

Matthew Hunt said...

Well, my favourite artists (Richard Hamilton, Marcel Duchamp) were not among those in the poll - other people's favourite painters may not be the same as Kelemen's :-)

For the new poll, I simply haven't seen enough of these films to make a comparison. It's quite a hardcore list.

celinejulie said...

--I didn’t know Richard Hamilton before. He seems interesting. I am particularly interested in his painting THE CITIZEN (1981-3), which is about the dirty protest of IRA prisoners who smeared the excrement on the wall of their cells. I never imagined that there could be such a protest like this.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2081/2077231239_97a27b7d91_o.jpg

--I guess Marcel Duchamp is one of the most important artists of the last century. I first got interested in him after I knew that one of my most favorite films of all time—EDEN AND AFTER (1970, Alain Robbe-Grillet)—has a scene inspired by Duchamp’s painting NUDE DESCENDING A STAIRCASE, NO.2 (1912).


--Speaking of Duchamp reminds me of a very funny short French film I saw at Alliance Francaise in February. The film is MARCEL! (2004, Jean Achache, A+) , and it is about two clueless guys who argue with a female aggressive curator about why Duchamp’s “readymades” can be considered “ART”. One of the most memorable scenes in the film is when the curator tries to kill the guys as an act of “ART” or something like that.

--Hahaha. I think my polls are just excuses for me to make lists of something I love—directors I love (first poll), Fred Kelemen (second poll), film endings I love (third poll). It would be great if I find that there’s someone who loves the same things as I. But though there’s nobody who shares my interests, I’m already satisfied that I have expressed my love for all those things.

As for my third poll, I want to put all the following films into the poll, too, but I guess many people haven’t seen them yet:

FILM ENDINGS I LOVE

11. THE STATE I AM IN (2000, Christian Petzold, Germany, A+)

12. FOTOGRAF (KAZIM OZ, Turkey, A+)

13.THE HUNGARIAN SERVANT (2004, Giorgio Molteni + Massimo Piesco, Italy, B+)

14.THE FAREWELL: BERTOLT BRECHT’S LAST SUMMER (2000, Jan Schuette, Germany, A+)

15.LUST, CAUTION (2007, Ang Lee, A+)

Matthew Hunt said...

I hadn't heard of Marcel!, but it sounds great. Hamilton's collage Just What Is It That Makes Today's Homes So Different So Appealing? 1956) is maybe my favourite work of visual art - I love its mixture of celebration and warning, and its appropriation of mass media:

http://k-punk.abstractdynamics.org/archives/Hamilton,Richard-Just_What_Is_I