Sunday, October 26, 2014

Favorite quote from Jean-Luc Godard about PIERROT LE FOU (1965)

Favorite quote from Jean-Luc Godard about PIERROT LE FOU (1965):

The great traditional cinema means Visconti as opposed to Fellini or Rossellini. It is a way of selecting certain scenes rather than others. The Bible is also a traditional book since it effects a choice in what it describes. If I were ever to film the life of Christ, I would film the scenes which are left out of the Bible. In SENSO, which I quite like, it was the scenes which Visconti concealed that I wanted to see. Each time I wanted to know what Farley Granger said to Allida Valli, bang! – a fade out. PIERROT LE FOU, from this standpoint, is the antithesis of SENSO: the moments you do not see in SENSO are shown in PIERROT.”



No comments: