Monday, February 25, 2013

THE IMPOSSIBLE (2012, Juan Antonio Bayona, A+)


THE IMPOSSIBLE (2012, Juan Antonio Bayona, A+)

I think this film works for me a little bit in the same way as a horror film, because what I'm impressed the most in this film is how I feel being bruised and cut in my leg like Naomi Watts. I think most horror films try to make the audience feeling penetrated by sharp objects or something like that. THE IMPOSSIBLE achieves this effect on me. I really felt penetrated, feeling as if I was bleeding a lot in my leg like Watts' character. I think it is a good choice that Juan Antonio Bayona directed THE IMPOSSIBLE, because Bayona's THE ORPHANAGE (2007) is a horror film which focuses on love between family members, too.

The scene I like the most in THE IMPOSSIBLE is the scene in which Watts and her son find Daniel, an angelic kid in a devastated area, and help the kid to climb a tree. The reason why I like this scene is just because I have a teddy bear. In my imaginative world, I regard this teddy bear as my son, a kid who in human form might look very much like this kid in this scene in THE IMPOSSIBLE. Seeing Daniel in THE IMPOSSIBLE reminds me of my teddy bear and my imaginative world.

No comments: