Monday, April 23, 2007

THE BODYBUILDER SNATCHER

This is my comment in Elusive Lucidity’s blog:

http://elusivelucidity.blogspot.com/2007/04/broken-by-middle-class-dream.html#comments

I saw THE SEVENTH VICTIM (1943) a few years ago. I think it might be the best film of Mark Robson, though there are some personal reasons why I like those three films a little bit more than THE SEVENTH VICTIM on my first viewing. One reason is because my English listening comprehension isn’t very good, and I saw these Mark Robson’s films without any English subtitles. I have to admit I couldn’t quite follow the story of THE SEVENTH VICTIM. I could understand only 50 % of what the characters were talking. Another important reason may be because I tend to feel involved with a film in which the villains are people of the established religions or the authority. That’s why I feel involved with those three films more than THE SEVENTH VICTIM. Anyway, I think THE SEVENTH VICTIM is more atmospheric than those three films, while those three films are more “mainstream” than THE SEVENTH VICTIM. The scene that I like the most in THE SEVENTH VICTIM is one early scene in which the private detective is about to open a door, or something like that. That scene is very exciting.

I haven’t watched I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE and THE LEOPARD MAN, but I have seen CAT PEOPLE (1942, Jacques Tourneur, A), THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (1944, Gunther von Fritsch + Robert Wise, A-/B+), and ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON’S THE BODY SNATCHER (1945, Robert Wise, A-/B/+). All of which are produced by Val Lewton. I think CAT PEOPLE is very classic. Sonthaya Subyen, my friend, showed these films to me and other people. I guess one reason why he promoted these films is because these films show that horror and fear can be successfully achieved without loud music, gore, or “what you can see directly”. These films are quite the opposite of most current horror films. These films play with the imagination of the audience. However, I think I am too accustomed to current horror films, so I couldn’t help falling asleep a little bit while I was watching THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE and THE BODY SNATCHER. They might be too artful for me, I guess. Hahaha.

Speaking of those Val Lewton’s films always makes me think about the novel “FLICKER” by Theodore Roszak. I can’t remember exactly if the novel mentions Val Lewton directly or not. But the novel talked about some old horror films, and I guess the novel might be inspired by some Lewton’s films.

Ah, you watch Dolph Lundgren and Van Damme’s vehicles. Of all the Lundgren’s films that I saw, I like THE PUNISHER (1989, Mark Goldblatt) the most. One reason is because the film has very stylish villainesses. And hey, Boaz Yakin (the director of FRESH, UPTOWN GIRLS, A PRICE ABOVE RUBIES, REMEMBER THE TITANS) wrote the script. I don’t know which Van Damme film is to be recommended. But the last time that I saw him is in a French comedy film called NARCO (2004, Tristan Aurouet + Gilles Lellouche, B+), in which he did a brief appearance. I regret that Lundgren and Van Damme’s future might not be very bright. And I think it would be difficult for them to play in a dramatic role as the role of Stallone in ROCKY BALBOA.

No comments: