Monday, April 09, 2007

HUNGRY FOR HUNGARIAN FILMS

A COPY OF AN E-MAIL I SENT TO SOMEONE:

I haven’t seen BLACK CHRISTMAS (1974, BOB CLARK), but someone told me the DVD of this film is on sale in Thailand for a price of 1.5 U.S. dollar. I think I should try to find it as soon as possible.

I wish I could have time to see HUKKLE (2001, GYORGY PALFI) for the second time. I couldn’t follow the story about the murder (?) when I watched it the first time. At first I thought this film had no story, so I didn’t focus my mind on what I should have focused. I realized it too late. Anyway, I think I can find the DVD of HUKKLE very easily here.

I just saw TAXIDERMIA (2006, GYORGY PALFI, A+). I like it a lot. Somebody might call it pretentious or over-the-top, but I like it. It’s a wonder to behold. It’s a great spectacle for me. I don’t know if this film is really aesthetically great or not, but I really enjoy it.

I like the grotesqueness of this film. TAXIDERMIA is full of disgusting characters and images, but the director makes it very beautiful. The “DISGUSTING BEAUTY” of this film reminds me of “4” (2005, Ilya Khrzhanovsky, A+) and “A BATTLE IN HEAVEN” (Carlos Reygadas, A+). So if you like the mood of “4” and “A BATTLE IN HEAVEN”, I think you might like TAXIDERMIA, too. I wish the characters of these three films meet each other in a party and have an orgy.

I wish I could have enough time to watch more Hungarian movies. I have seen some films by Bela Tarr, Ildiko Enyedi, Kornel Mundruczo, and Istvan Szabo. DVDs of Marta Meszaros, Karoly Makk, Miklos Jancso, and Nimrod Antal are also available in Thailand, but I don’t know when I will have time to watch them. TAXIDERMIA really inspires me to watch more Hungarian movies. I think the films of Ildiko Enyedi and Istvan Szabo that I saw are very good, but not outstanding. The films of Bela Tarr and Kornel Mundruczo are great, but the slowness of these films doesn’t excite me much. I think TAXIDERMIA is not as great as Bela Tarr’s films, but TAXIDERMIA made me feel excited for a short while. For a crude comparison of feelings, watching Bela Tarr’s films is like watching Tarkovsky’s, while watching TAXIDERMIA is like watching SUSPIRIA. TAXIDERMIA and SUSPIRIA don’t give me many things to think, and don’t make me feel as if I have discovered some (ugly) truths of the world. I guess I like TAXIDERMIA partly because it’s just a different kind of entertainment.


อันนี้เป็นความเห็นของดิฉันที่ไปเขียนตอบในบล็อกของน้อง INITIAL A

http://initiala0099.exteen.com/20070406/entry

ขอบคุณน้องมากค่ะที่เขียนถึง PRIMEVAL (A-) ตอนแรกก็สองจิตสองใจว่าจะดูหนังเรื่องนี้ดีมั้ย แต่พอเห็นน้องเขียนว่าสนุก ก็เลยลองเข้าไปดู และก็สนุกจริงๆด้วย รู้สึกว่าหนังเรื่องนี้ถ่ายสวยมากๆ ชอบการใช้โทนสีในหนังเรื่องนี้ มันดูสวยแบบหนังสยองขวัญดี และก็ชอบการใช้ประโยชน์จากวิวทิวทัศน์ในหนังเรื่องนี้ด้วย อยากจะบอกว่า จริงๆแล้วชอบ PRIMEVAL มากกว่าหนังอย่าง “300” (2007, ZACK SNYDER, B+) ซะอีก จริงๆแล้ว PRIMEVAL ก็มีจุดที่ไม่ชอบเหมือนกันนะ แต่ถ้าหากเทียบกับความคาดหวังก่อนเข้าไปดูแล้ว ก็นับว่าหนังเรื่องนี้ถูกใจเกินความคาดหวังเยอะ (เพราะหวังไว้ต่ำมาก)

No comments: