Sunday, November 11, 2007

MY FEELINGS FOR FRED KELEMEN'S FILMS (1)

MY FEELINGS FOR FRED KELEMEN’S FILMS (1)

I have seen five films directed by Fred Kelemen. They are:

1.KALYI (1993, A+)

2.FATE (1994, A+)

3.FROST (1997, A+)

4.NIGHTFALL (1999, A+)

5.FALLEN (2005, A+)

And I also saw some parts of DESIRE (2001, Fred Kelemen, A+), which seems to be a hybrid between stage performance and cinema. DESIRE is adapted from DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS by Eugene O’Neill.

It’s too difficult for me to write about Kelemen’s films. As for now, I think I should just begin to note down my feelings and what I remember in the films and in the discussion after the films.

--I like the crazy dancing scenes in Kelemen’s films very much. They are like the release of frustration, the madness, the free expression of someone who was not free. These scenes include the one with electronic music in FROST, and the two scenes in DESIRE—one is when Abbie (Kathrin Angerer) danced in the kitchen while throwing dishes around, the other is when the party in the guest danced together after the father left the party.

--I’m very impressed with the singing scene in NIGHTFALL, in which we see the singer with blonde wig sings from the beginning of the song until the end, and her face seems to be emotionless (or seems to express some kinds of indescribable emotion) all through the song. I like this singer as much as I like Julee Cruise in TWIN PEAKS and Labina Mitevska in I WANT YOU (1998, Michael Winterbottom).

4 comments:

filmvirus said...

I am terribly stupid on how to comment on blogspot. I don't know how to leave my name.

Thank you for your wonderful comments on his films and his crazy dances. I am amazed by his simplicity both in his films and in person. I am also terribly excited by his new film projects. How I love the man!

Anonymous said...

how can i tell you about my jealousy that u two can seem all those film
ha ha

i hope you 'll finish it soon

celinejulie said...

Writing about his films is too difficult for me at the moment. It requires such a talented person as Filmsick to do it. :-)

celinejulie said...

Bangkok Post has published an interview with Fred Kelemen by Kong Rithdee on Friday 16 Nov.

You can read the article from the link below:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Realtime/16Nov2007_real001.php