Monday, June 02, 2008

PATHOLOGY (2008, Marc Schoelermann, A)

This is my comment in Girish Shambu’s blog:
http://www.girishshambu.com/blog/2008/06/cinema-revulsion.html

Though I’m a fan of horror, there are also some films which I dare not watch because of their reputations—MEN BEHIND THE SUN (1988, Tun Fei Mou), GUINEA PIG (1985, Satoru Ogura) and its sequels, FACES OF DEATH (1978, John Alan Schwartz) and its sequels, CANNIBAL FEROX (1981, Umberto Lenzi) or other films in the same genre, or those beheading clips. I don’t think these films will give me “pleasure”, and pleasure is the main reason why I choose to watch any films.

The film which disturbs me too much is VASE DE NOCES (1974, Thierry Zeno). It has a scene in which a mother pig found her little pigs killed. This scene makes me feel too sad.

The cat torturing scene is SATANTANGO is a bit too much for me. Fortunately, from what I heard, the torture is fake.

A film which has disturbed me lately is PATHOLOGY (2008, Marc Schoelermann). What disturbs me is not the scenes of the brutal killing, but the scene in which a character refuses to save the life of an unknown stranger. I think it disturbs me very much because deep down inside, I’m not sure if I am like that character or not. I’m not sure if I will rush to help a stranger or automatically walk away from a stranger. The brutal killing in PATHOLOGY may be too far from our everyday life, but indifference to strangers is not too far from me, and maybe that’s why it disturbs me.

Talking about this topic somehow reminds me of two paintings—JUDITH BEHEADING HOLOFERNES by Caravaggio and by Artemisia Gentileschi. I like these two paintings, though they disturb me.

5 comments:

Matthew Hunt said...

We've discussed this before in an earlier post, but I have to admit that I saw all of the films you dare not watch, when I was a teenager. To the list of most extreme horror films, I would also add Aftermath (Nacho Cerda, 1994), which is also very disturbing. I haven't seen August Underground's Mordum [yet], but it also has a very strong reputation.

Vase De Noces is an odd film, with no dialogue and almost no narrative. We never see the piglets being killed, but to know that they were all killed off-camera is shocking and sad, as you say.

Anonymous said...

ไม่ชอบหนังที่มีฉากทรมานสัตว์เหมือนกัน โดยเฉพาะหนังฆาตกรรมฮอลลีวู้ด สุนัขมักจะเป็นตัวซวยถูกฆ่าเป็นรายแรกอยู่บ่อยๆ ด้วยความที่เราเลี้ยงหมาด้วย เราก็เลยยิ่งไม่ชอบ

แต่มีกรณียกเว้นในหนังของ Michael Haneke (สับคอไก่, ช็อตหัวหมู, แทงคอม้า) ที่เรารู้สึกโอเค เพราะแบ็คกดราวด์ในหนังของเค้า มันทำให้เราเชื่อว่า โลกหรือสังคมนั้นๆ มันเลวร้ายมากพอ จนเรื่องแบบนี้มันเกิดขึ้นได้

celinejulie said...

I have never heard of AFTERMATH and AUGUST UNDERGROUND’S MORDUM before. I think AFTERMATH is interesting, though I’m not sure I would dare to watch AUGUST UNDERGROUND’S MORDUM.

I think I really empathize with the mother pig in VASE DE NOCES. That’s why I felt as if my own children were killed by an evil filmmaker. If I have to give a grade to VASE DE NOCES, I would give it “F” according to my own feelings. I don’t have a child in real life, but I think I understand how sorrowful a mother would feel to see her children getting killed.

celinejulie said...

อันนี้เราจะรู้สึกตรงข้ามกับน้อง merveillesxx นะ เพราะเรารับหนังที่มีฉากทรมานสัตว์ได้ ถ้าหากมันเป็นการ “จำลอง” ไม่ใช่การทำจริง เพราะฉะนั้นถ้าหากหนังเรื่องใดจะมีหมาถูกฆ่าตายอย่างทรมานกี่ร้อยกี่พันตัว เราก็รับหนังเรื่องนั้นได้ ถ้าหากมันบอกว่า NO ANIMALS WERE HURT IN THIS FILMMAKING. แต่ถ้าหากเป็นในหนังของ Michael Haneke เรากลับรับไม่ค่อยได้นะ เพราะเราเข้าใจว่ามันเป็นการฆ่าสัตว์จริงๆ หรือเราจะเข้าใจผิดไปเองก็ไม่รู้ คือเราไม่ได้ดูหนังเพราะสนใจความเป็น “ศิลปะ” ของหนังน่ะ เราดูหนังเพราะเราต้องการความสุขจากหนัง และความสุขหรือความทุกข์จากการดูหนังบางเรื่องของเรา มันก็ขึ้นอยู่กับบริบทที่ว่ามีสัตว์ตัวใดต้องถูกฆ่าตายทั้งๆที่มันไม่ได้ทำอะไรผิดหรือเปล่า

Matthew Hunt said...

Aftermath is highly recommended. It has surprisingly attractive cinematography, considering the offensive subject-matter. Like you, I would only approach August Underground with extreme caution.