Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"THERE IS A BLANK IN BLANKET"--TOSSAPOL BOONSINSUKH

This is my comment in Riverdale’s blog:
http://riverdale-dreams.blogspot.com/2008/05/blog-post.html

หนูขอจอง “หนุ่ม นักเพาะกล้วยไม้” (โสภณ ภู่กนก) ในหนังเรื่องนี้ค่ะ


This is my comment in Merveillesxx’s blog:
http://www.bloggang.com/viewdiary.php?id=merveillesxx&month=06-2008&group=9&date=11&gblog=96

I also don’t like the last painting, or actually the political statement in the painting. Can the term “democratic junta” in the painting be considered an oxymoron?


-----------------------------------------


My poll 22 ended with 11 votes. That’s great. The number of votes is much higher than what I expected. It includes one vote from me for AFTERNOON TIMES, BUNNY, OUT OF TIME, and TOKYO LULLABY. Thank you very much for everyone who participated in it. Here is the result:

THESE GREAT FILMS HAVE LONELY ATMOSPHERE. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1..FALLEN ANGELS (1995, Wong Kar-wai, Hong Kong)
+THE SILENCE (1963, Ingmar Bergman, Sweden)

Each of them got 4 votes, or 36 %.


3.AFTERNOON TIMES (2005, Tossapol Boonsinsukh, Thailand)
It got 3 votes, or 27 %.


4.BUNNY (2000, Mia Trachinger, USA)
+SHADOWS IN PARADISE (1986, Aki Kaurismaki, Finland)
+WONDERFUL TOWN (2008, Aditya Assarat, Thailand)

Each of them got 2 votes, or 18 %.


7.BLUE CHA CHA (2005, Cheng Wen-tang, Taiwan)
+EGG (2007, Semih Kaplanoglu, Turkey)
+NOI ALBINOI (2003, Dagur Kari, Iceland)
+OUT OF TIME (1995, Andreas Kleinert, Germany)
+THE PASSENGER (2005, Eric Caravaca, France)
+RAIN DOGS (2006, Ho Yuhang, Malaysia)
+TOKYO LULLABY (1997, Jun Ichikawa, Japan)

Each of them got 1 vote, or 9 %.


14..EGG (1987, Danniel Danniel, Netherlands)
+HOLE IN THE SKY (2001, Kazuyoshi Kumakiri, Japan)
+MEMORIES OF DUST (2005, Supakit Itsadisai, Thailand)
+SCHULTZE GETS THE BLUES (2003, Michael Schorr, Germany)
+SHOPPING CART BOY (2007, Hou Chi-jan, Taiwan)
+THERE, THERE (2005, Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit, Thailand)
+ULTRANOVA (2005, Bouli Lanners, Belgium)

Each of them got 0 vote.


--Tossapol Boonsinsukh has released a teaser of his new film UNDER THE BLANKET. You can watch his teaser at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJTVUJIS4Dg

--Tossapol also wrote a touching story about the inspiration for his new film. You can read his Thai writing at:
http://thirdclasscitizen.exteen.com/20080609/under-the-blanket-teaser

I particularly like his sentence, “For me, the word “blanket” hides the word “blank” in it. Blank means empty, void, devoid of story or as a noun it can mean empty space or a place to be filled. The beginning of MANTA RAY talks about a man who has a big hole in him. The hole is very deep, dark, and cold. A blanket or someone should help him to get through these days and nights.”

Now I’m sure Tossapol’s new film will have the lonely atmosphere as his previous ones.


--One Minute Film Review’s blog has a review on RAIN DOGS
http://1minutefilmreview.blogspot.com/2008/06/rain-dogs.html

--Graiwoot Julpongsathorn wrote about WONDERFUL TOWN in Bioscope magazine, June 2008.

Other reviews on WONDERFUL TOWN:

Wise Kwai
http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/2008/05/review-wonderful-town.html

Merveillesxx (Thai)
http://www.bloggang.com/viewdiary.php?id=merveillesxx&month=05-2008&date=28&group=1&gblog=141

Piovere (Thai)
http://www.bioscopemagazine.com/smf/index.php?topic=1133.0




5 comments:

HarryTuttle said...

I voted for Afternoon Times too. ;)

Wow Thanks for the new trailer from Tossapol's new film! I love this atmosphere already. I'm happy to see he came back to filmmaking.
I found his blog in your blogroll yesterday, but unfortunately I can't read Thai... Let me know how it goes in the future for him.

Anonymous said...

เสียดายมากครับ ที่สุดท้ายก็ไม่ได้ดู wonderful town
บังเอิญช่วงที่ผ่านมา ตัวเองค่อนข้างยุ่งนิดหน่อย
หวังว่าจะโชคดีได้ดูหนังเรื่องนี้ในโอกาสอื่นหรือในดีวีดีต่อไป

celinejulie said...

Thank you very much for your vote, Harrytuttle.

I wish you could read Thai (I also wish I could have time to study French). Tossapol wrote many short stories that I like in his blog, such as this one:

“NUMBER

He closed his eyes and tried to reach me by his hands
He told me “eight”
He is an old friend from my high school. He came to see me in late morning.
He told me he could see every number in everything.
My house equals sixteen.
The old green refrigerator equals 0.06
The bedroom wall equals 511.
The little dog equals 0.333…
My girlfriend equals 9.1
And I equal 8.

I asked him what these numbers stand for.
He didn’t know.
He just knew that every time he closed his eyes and held out his hand to anything, a number would appear.

I invited him to take a stroll in my backyard.
The sky equals one.
The trees in the backyard equal six multiplying by six for sixty times.
The music flowing from the house next door equals a great amount of numbers.
I noted down the numbers he told in a large sheet of paper.
We got so many numbers we don’t understand.

The sun set.
I invited him to have a dinner with us.
My girlfriend had already made some dinner for him.
1258”

celinejulie said...

ไม่แน่ใจเหมือนกันว่าหนังเรื่อง WONDERFUL TOWN จะเข้าทางคุณปราปต์หรือเปล่า ส่วนตัวดิฉันเองนั้น ดูหนังเรื่องนี้แล้วก็ให้ความรู้สึกโล่งๆแบบแปลกๆค่ะ หนังไม่ได้จี๊ดโดนใจ และดิฉันก็ไม่รู้สึกว่าตัวเองได้รับสาระอะไรจากหนัง แต่หนังมีบรรยากาศที่ให้ความรู้สึกแปลกๆดี สรุปว่าดิฉันชอบหนังเรื่องนี้มาก ถึงแม้ว่าหนังเรื่องนี้อาจจะไม่ได้เข้าทางดิฉันอย่างเต็มที่แบบหนังของคุณทศพล บุญสินสุขก็ตาม

HarryTuttle said...

Nice short story, thanks for the translation. That would make a poetical 1 minute clip.