Wednesday, August 20, 2008

TORONTO FILM FESTIVAL

This is my comment in Girish’s blog:
http://www.girishshambu.com/blog/2008/08/tiff-2008-film-list.html

--Based on previous works of these directors, I recommend these new films which I haven’t seen:

1.AFTER THE RACE (Nikolaus Geyrhalter, Austria)
Geyrhalter directed OUR DAILY BREAD.

2.CITIZEN JULING (Ing K + Kraisak Choonhavan + Manit Sriwanichpoom, Thailand)
Manit is a great photographer, and I am still deeply shocked by some of his recent photos. I don’t know if his film is good or not, but I recommend the film for those who are interested in politics or religious conflicts.

3.THE COUNTRY TEACHER (Bohdan Slama, Czech)
Slama directed WILD BEES (2001).

4.DERNIER MARQUIS (Rabah Ameur-Zaimeche, France/Algeria)
He directed BLED NUMBER ONE (2006).

5.DIOSES (Josue Mendez, Peru)
Mendez directed DAYS OF SANTIAGO (2004)

6.PANDORA’S BOX (Yesim Ustaoglu, Turkey)
Ustaoglu directed WAITING FOR THE CLOUDS (2003).

7.PUBLIC ENEMY NO. 1 (Jean-Francois Richet, France)
Richet directed ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 (2005) and ETAT DES LIEUX (1995).

8.SUT (Semih Kaplanoglu, Turkey)
Kaplanoglu directed ANGEL’S FALL (2005) and EGG (2007).

9.UNDER THE TREE (Garin Nugroho, Indonesia)
Nugroho directed AND THE MOON DANCES (1995).

If I have to choose only one film among these, I will choose Kaplanoglu’s film.

--I also wish I could see THE HEADLESS WOMAN by Lucrecia Martel, because Apichatpong said that this is his most favorite film in the Cannes film festival this year. Unfortunately, only Jeanne Balibar and him fought for this film among the Cannes jury, so that’s why it didn’t get any awards. Apichatpong also said that he liked FRONTIER OF DAWN (Philippe Garrel) very much.

No comments: