Saturday, August 16, 2008

DIED ON 6TH OCTOBER, 1976 (2008, Manit Sriwanichpoom, A++++++++++)

I went to see the art exhibition FLASHBACK ’76: HISTORY & MEMORY OF OCTOBER 6 MASSACRE (A+++++) yesterday, and like it very much. This exhibition is held at Pridi Banomyong Institute, Sukhumvit Soi 55, from 2-23 August 2008.

The exhibition includes works by Ing K (a Thai female filmmaker/painter), Sutee Kunavichayanont, Vasan Sitthiket, and Manit Sriwanichpoom. Unfortunately, I couldn’t watch the video directed by Vasan Sitthiket, because the video machine there seemed to be broken.

I love the photo series by Manit Sriwanichpoom in this exhibition very much. This series is called DIED ON 6TH OCTOBER 1976.

You can get the brochure of this exhibition by buying the Thai magazine “WIPASA”, issue 12.

The information below is copied from the brochure. It is written by Manit Sriwanichpoom:

“I enlarged the pictures and immersed each one in a developing tray filled with fresh blood. Slowly, the picture would float up toward the surface of the blood. I watched as the faces of the martyrs gradually emerged from the red depths, as if their souls were entering the pictures, bringing them back to life. Like inky monsoon clouds refusing to disperse, the blood did not clear away completely and parts of their faces remained in shadow. Before pressing the shutter, I raised my hands to pay respect, praying to each one: if there is something you want to say to the people of today, please manifest your message through my work and I will be your channel.

One young woman, who could’ve been my older sister, reddened her eyes deeply as if in response, an unforgettable image that will forever stay with me.”


--For those who are interested in images of atrocity, you may read this interesting article by Graham Coulter-Smith:
http://artintelligence.net/review/?p=805#more-805


--The topic of the Bangkok massacre in October 6, 1976 makes me want to see these films:

1.THREE BULLETS (1977, Senee Gomarachun, Thailand)
http://www.thaifilmdb.com/th/tt03230

Since the massacre was caused by the extreme rightists, I am interested in this film, which unashamedly supports the extreme rightists. In this film, a father killed his son with three bullets, because his son doesn’t believe in the nation, the religion, and the monarchy.


2.CANOA (1976, Felipe Cazals, Mexico)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008H2HZ/imdb-adbox/


These are images from DIED ON 6TH OCTOBER 1976:













1 comment:

Matthew Hunt said...

Thanks for posting this, I hadn't heard about the exhibition. I'll go and see it next week before it closes.