Monday, November 03, 2008

SHERMAN ONG AND RAYMOND DEPARDON ARE THE WINNERS

My poll 36 ended with three votes. Thanks very much to everyone who participated in it. Here is the result:

THESE (SEMI-) DOCUMENTARIES DEAL WITH SOME SPECIFIC JOBS OR INDUSTRIES. WHICH ONES DO YOU LIKE?

1.IS IT EASY TO KILL/PRAY? (2005, Sherman Ong, Vietnam)
+MODERN LIFE (2008, Raymond Depardon, France)

Each of them got 2 votes, or 66 %.


3.CORN IN PARLIAMENT: LE GENIE HELVETIQUE (2003, Jean-Stephane Bron, Switzerland)
+THE HOUSEWIFE’S FLOWER (1998, Dominik Wessely, Germany)
+HOW MUCH WOOOD WOULD A WOODCHUCK CHUCK (1976, Werner Herzog, West Germany)
+A LIFE WITH SLATE (2006, Dipesh Kharel, Nepal)
+NINE REASONS TO BE A STREET PERFORMER (1998, Navarutt Roongaroon, Thailand/USA)

+OUR DAILY BREAD (2005, Nikolaus Geyrhalter, Austria)

Each of them got 1 vote, or 33 %.


9.ANTIQUES ARE FOUND IN BANGKOKNOI AREA, THONBURI (2008, Thip Tang, Thailand)
+FRIENDLY PERSUASION (2000, Jamsheed Akrami, Iran)
+HANG THE DJ (1998, Marco & Mauro Lavilla, Canada)
+HER 25802ND DAY (2000, Kristina Leko, Croatia)
+LIVE NUDE GIRLS UNITE! (2000, Julia Query + Vicky Funari, USA)
+M.O.B. (มือที่สาม) (2006, Sanpetch Sikaret, Thailand)
+PITCH PEOPLE (1999, Stanley Jacobs, USA)
+MONDOVINO (2004, Jonathan Nossiter, France)
+NEON GODDESSES (1996, Yu Lik Wai, Hong Kong)
+RATCHADA-LADPRAOW (2006, Amorntip Pakdee, Thailand)
+WASTELAND (2007, Megan Cossey, Thailand)
+WORKINGMAN’S DEATH (2005, Michael Glawogger, Austria)

Each of them got 0 vote.


--Talking about jobs in films/TV series, I think it is strange that most Thai TV series that I watched when I was a child seemed to pay no attention to the jobs of the main characters. It is as if these main characters are too rich to work, or they have no problems at all in their working lives. This is in contrast with Hong Kong TV series and American TV series, such as MELROSE PLACE, because the characters in these foreign TV melodrama series seem to have too many serious problems in their working lives.

Another funny thing is the fact that though I love Hong Kong martial art TV series very much, I can’t help wondering how the main characters in these martial arts TV series earn their living.

I wrote this not because I think it is wrong that these characters have no jobs. I just think it is funny. I enjoy these TV series because they satisfy my fantasy. I don’t want all TV series to be realistic.


--My theme song for this poll is THE WAITRESS by Tori Amos, just because the title of the song is about a job. My Thai cinephile/short filmmaker friend said many years ago that he would like to make a film inspired by the great lyrics of this song.

“So I want to kill this waitress
She's worked here a year longer than 1
If I did it fast you know that's an act of kindness

But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace
I believe in peace
But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace

I want to kill this waitress
I can't believe this violence in mind
And is her power all in her club sandwich

But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace
I believe in peace
But I believe in peace
I believe in peace Bitch
I believe in peace

I want to kill this killing wish
They're too many stars and not enough sky
Boys all think she's living kindness
Ask a fellow waitress
Ask a fellow waitress”

No comments: