Wednesday, June 17, 2009

STEALTH (2008, Lionel Baier, A+)

This is what I wrote in Kanchat Rangseekansong’s facebook (with some added details):

I like STEALTH very much, though I think there's something intriguing about it, including

1.The characters seem to pay too much attention to their own ethnic backgrounds, which may or may not be a kind of right-wing thinking.

2.The brother helps the woman only because she shares the same ethnic background with him.

3.The film seems to intentionally or unintentionally imply that “to help stranger is to endanger yourself”, such as when the sister tries to intervene in a couple’s fighting and when the brother and sister gives a lift to a woman. Maybe the film just tries to portray the reality of this cruel world. I’m not sure.

4.Maybe the most important reason why I feel reluctant to give this film A+++++ is just because the film seems to end with the love and connection between family members, which is something I can’t identify with.


There are also many things I love in this film, such as

1.It is a film in which the main character is gay, but it talks about the topics rarely found in other gay films.

2.It is a little bit unpredictable.

3.It portrays the hypocrisy of some people.

4.The sister is a very interesting character.

No comments: