Wednesday, January 20, 2010

THE FINAL BOW (A++++++++++)

(copy from my Facebook)

I saw MEMOTECH (2009, Rannvá Káradóttir, Marianna Mørkøre, A+++++) at Patravadi Theater. It is a part of a show called THE FINAL BOW (Cathy Seago + Shi Jing Xin + Ng Mei-yin + Wang Wei Quartet + Rannvá Káradóttir, A++++++++++), which is extremely amazing. In one part of this show, three female dancers and some musicians perform some dance and music in front of a white screen. There is a spotlight shining at the front of them, which make them cast their shadows onto the white screen behind them. But the screen is also showing a film about some dancing shadows and music-playing shadows. So the audience can't tell which shadows are the real shadows from the spotlight, and which shadows are the ones in the film. It gives me a very creepy, haunting feeling. It makes me feel as if I saw some ghosts dancing on the screen. It reminds me of the last scene in THE SCREEN AT KAMCHANOD, in which some ghosts are trying to break out of the white screen. However, if THE SCREEN AT KAMCHANOD is as haunting as THE FINAL BOW, it would have been one of my most favorite Thai films of all time.

Trailer for MEMOTECH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjbEjcmhc5k

No comments: