Sunday, December 09, 2007

FAVORITE MEXICAN FILMS

This is my comment in Girish Shambu's blog:
http://www.girishshambu.com/blog/2007/12/defining-moments-in-moviesrosenbaums.html

--Girish, thank you very much for the link to Sight and Sound poll. I'm glad to see some critics choose SAVIOR'S SQUARE and AUTOHYSTORIA in this poll.

--I think I'm in the early stage of getting tired of seeing some commercial films, especially romantic and action films. I still love horror films a lot.

However, I still believe in what jmac wrote in her INVISIBLE CINEMA's blog in September: " You know how the sun rises each morning? That's how I feel about cinema. It is always new."

--"The stages of a cinephile" posted by Anonymous reminds me of the main character in LOVE THAT BOY (2003, Andrea Dorfman). This main character is a college student, so she may be in the ages group of 20-26, and she tries to see every film by the French New Wave directors.

--I love these Mexican films:

1.VIOLET PERFUME: NOBODY HEARS YOU (2001, Maryse Sistach).
The DVD of this film was released in September by TLA. Strongly recommended for those who love films about troubled female teenagers such as LOVELY RITA, HI TERESKA, STRONG SHOULDERS, I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A SAINT, and OR.

2.CRONICAS (2004, Sebastian Cordero)
This film is available as DVD.

3.PACHITO REX: I'M LEAVING BUT NOT FOR GOOD (2001, Fabian Hoffmann)

4.DANZON (1991, Maria Novaro)

5.Films by Alejandro Jodorowsky—SANTA SANGRE (1989), EL TOPO (1970), FANDO AND LIS (1968). His films are available as DVDs and they are MUST-SEE.

I also think EL EVANGELIO DE LAS MARAVILLAS, mentioned by Noel Vera above, is truly stunning.

Someone told me I should watch some Mexican vampire films, but they are hardly available here.








No comments: