Saturday, January 19, 2008

NINTH POLL: MARVELOUS MAGNIFICENT MIND-BLOWING MURDER MYSTERY

NINTH POLL: MARVELOUS MAGNIFICENT MIND-BLOWING MURDER MYSTERY

My ninth poll is inspired by MURDER OF THE INUGAMI CLAN (2006, Kon Ichikawa, A+), which I just saw last week. I like the style of this film very much. I think most films dealing with murder mystery make you feel excited while you are watching it. But the excitement decreases rapidly after you know the killer and the film ends. However, there are some films dealing with murder mystery, or just dealing with murder, or just mystery, which have other interesting things besides the excitement. MURDER OF THE INUGAMI CLAN are full of interesting styles, and I like this aspect of the film very much.

MURDER OF THE INUGAMI CLAN also reminds me of a Japanese film I saw many years ago from television. I think that film deals with a murder on an island, and there is a scene in which some people move a huge temple bell along the side of the island. Later, the detective, which may be Kindaichi, found out that the corpse is hidden inside the bell. I can’t remember the title of this film. Maybe it is THE 8 TOMB VILLAGE (1996, Kon Ichikawa), Maybe it is ISLAND OF EVIL SPIRITS (1981, Masahiro Shinoda). I don’t know. If anyone knows the title of this film, please tell me.

After I saw MURDER OF THE INUGAMI CLAN, I think I should make a list of my favorite films which deal with murder or mystery. The films in this list are varied. Some are about murder mystery, such as THESIS. Some are about mystery with or without murder, such as BROTHER’S KEEPER. Some are about murder without mystery about the murderer, such as WEB OF DECEPTION. Some treats the murder mystery in a very strange way, such as CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING, in which the heroines treat the murder in the haunted house as if it is a game. Some are not thrillers, but a powerful dramatic film/miniseries, such as THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN.


THESE FILMS INVOLVE MURDER OR MYSTERY. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1.AMNESIA (2001, Martin Koolhoven, Netherlands)

2.BROTHER’S KEEPER (1992, Joe Berlinger, Bruce Sinofsky, USA)

3.CELINE AND JULIE GO BOATING (1974, Jacques Rivette, France)

4.COP AU VIN (1985, Claude Chabrol, France)

5.DEATH ON THE NILE (1978, John Guillermin, UK)

6.DEATHTRAP (1982, Sidney Lumet, USA)

7.DEEP RED (1975, Dario Argento, Italy)

8.DOGWOMAN: DEAD DOG WALKING (2000, Rowan Woods, Australia)

9.EDEN AND AFTER (1970, Alain Robbe-Grillet, France)

10.HEAVEN OF GLASS (1987, Nina Grosse, West Germany)

11.I KNOW WHO KILLED ME (2007, Chris Sivertson, USA)
I love the blue color in this film very much.

12.THE LADY VANISHES (1938, Alfred Hitchcock, UK)

13.THE LAST ONE OF THE SIX (1941, Georges Lacombe, France)
The screenplay of this film is written by Henri-Georges Clouzot.

14.THE MURDER OF MARY PHAGAN (1988, William Hale, USA)
This 251-minute miniseries is adapted from Larry McMurtry’s story.

15.MURDER OF THE INUGAMI CLAN (2006, Kon Ichikawa, Japan)

16.THE SEVENTH VICTIM (1943, Mark Robson, USA)

17.TATORT: AUSGEKLINKT (1988, Sylvia Hoffmann, West Germany)

18.THESIS (1996, Alejandro Amenabar, Spain)

19.TICK TOCK (2000, Kevin Tenney, USA)

20.WEB OF DECEPTION (1989, David Chung, Hong Kong)




No comments: