Thursday, July 12, 2007

WITH GREAT HELP FROM SHINOHARA CHIE

THIS IS MY COMMENT IN ELUSIVE LUCIDITY’S BLOG:
http://elusivelucidity.blogspot.com/2007/07/momentary-reflection.html

--What Jesse said about his school reading reminds me of my reading habit when I was a university student. At that time I tried to persuade myself to read some textbooks to prepare for an examination by giving myself a reward. That is—I would allow myself to read a Japanese comic book after I had finished reading some textbooks for 3 hours or so. At that time I felt as if reading textbooks was like walking through a desert. So I had to give myself an emotional or mental “oasis” in the form of a Japanese comic book. I found that this kind of thing worked well for me, alternating between reading textbooks and Japanese comic books. I can even say that I graduated from university with a great help from Shinohara Chie’s comic books.

--I also have to open many windows at the same time when I am using the internet. I have to open Yahoo, Flickr, two Thai webboards, my two blogs, my Thai friends’ blogs, my foreign friends’ blogs, imdb, google, and dictionary.com, and switching between all of these windows make me feel like a headache.

--Talking about long paragraphs reminds me of Acquarello’s writing. I like his writing very much. I think he is one of the best film critics around and I am addicted to his website. What I’m amazed at him is not only his film knowledge, but also his ability to write in long and rich sentences.


An example of Acquarello’s sentence (from his review on YESTERDAY GIRL):

“This contradictory behavior that is, at once, an all-too-ready admission of (factually verified) historical culpability and a trivialization of the consequences of its legacy reflects a culturally pervasive attitude, a tenuous co-existence between half-hearted acknowledgement and adamant denial that is encapsulated by the judge's curt dismissal in continuing the line of inquiry that raises the specter of the human tragedy (one that he, himself, has introduced out of apparent habit): a pre-emptive declaration of its particular - and implicitly broader - irrelevance towards the resurgence of an inclusive, tolerant, and transformed "New Germany".


As English is not my first language, I have to admit that I have to read many of his sentences 2-3 times before I can begin to understand them. That is not to say that I would prefer him to write in shorter sentences. No. What I’m trying to say is that reading his website doesn’t only provide me with great film knowledge, but it also gives me a chance to improve my English reading skills.

----------------------------------------------------------------

This is an image from BLUE SEAL by Shinohara Chie:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1337/787318258_6326f77005_o.jpg



No comments: