Tuesday, July 17, 2007

RAMON SALAZAR

This is my comment in MEMORIES OF THE FUTURE blog:
http://memoriesofthefuture.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/new-review-2/

Hey, I just noticed that this post is filed under a new category called WHORING.

I haven’t heard of EL CALENTITO (2005, Chuz Gutierrez) before, but it sounds interesting, because you compared it to Pedro Almodovar’s early works. And I like some of Almodovar’s early works very much, such as PEPI, LUCI, BOM (1980, Pedro Almodovar, A+). In fact, I think I like PEPI, LUCI, BOM the most among Almodovar’s films that I saw. PEPI, LUCI, BOM might not be as great a film as TALK TO HER (2002, Pedro Almodovar, A+). The film is so vulgar, while TALK TO HER, ALL ABOUT MY MOTHER, BAD EDUCATION, and VOLVER are so refined. But I still like its vulgarity. However, I’m not very fond of LABYRINTH OF PASSION (1982, Pedro Almodovar, B+). I think it is not as funny as it should be.

I haven’t seen many Spanish films except Almodovar’s. It’s good to know that there are some unknown Spanish films released as DVDs with English subtitles. I think that other Spanish DVDs that I should get hold of are PIEDRAS (2002, Ramon Salazar) and 20 CENTIMETROS (2005, Ramon Salazar), because I have heard that Salazar is also influenced by Almodovar.


No comments: