Monday, April 28, 2008

MOST FAVORITE MONOLOGUE OF ALL TIME

My seventeenth poll ended with the biggest surprise since I began polling. The winner is LOCOMOTION IN WATER (2005, Hanna Shell), which is a film I had never heard of before I started going to Conference of Birds Gallery in February. I like a surprise like this. Who could have guessed LOCOMOTION IN WATER will win? This kind of surprise makes polling much more exciting.

My seventeenth poll ended with 12 votes. Thank you very much for everyone who participated in it. Here is the result:

I LOVE THESE EXPERIMENTAL FILMS BY FEMALE FILMMAKERS VERY MUCH. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1.LOCOMOTION IN WATER (2005, Hanna Shell)
It got 5 votes or 41%.

2.BIRTH OF THE SEANEMA (2004, Sasithorn Ariyavicha, Thailand)
It got 3 votes or 25%.

3.ATOMIK PARK (2003, Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster, France)
+BERLIN – EXERCISES IN NINE PARTS: DREAMING UNDER WATER OF THINGS AFAR (1975, Rebecca Horn, Germany)
+SOMETHING HAPPENED (2007, Keren Cytter)

Each of them got 2 votes or 16 %.


6.FUSES (1965, Carolee Schneemann, USA)
+I'M NOT THE GIRL WHO MISSES MUCH (1986, Pipilotti Rist)
+SEEING SPACE AND HEARING SPACE (1974, Valie Export)

Each of them got 1 vote or 8 %.


9.BETWEEN (1989, Claudia Schillinger, Germany)
+BY TOMORROW (2008, Tuksina Pipitkul, Thailand)
+FUN RIEM (2006, Luddawan Subpeng, Thailand)
+THE INSANE (2006, Araya Rasdjarmrearnsook, Thailand)
+LINEAGE OF THE DIVINE (2002, Monika Tichasek, Australia)
+THE LITTLE GIRL (1997, Nicole Greenwood, Pantipa Tanchookiat, Thailand)
+LIVING A BEAUTIFUL LIFE (2003, Corinna Schnitt, Gemany)
+NEWS FROM HOME (1977, Chantal Akerman)
+PHANTOM LOVE (2007, Nina Menkes, USA)
+PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR BEING AN ARTIST – ENJOY YOURSELF IN EVERY CONDITION, PART 2 (2000, Chang Jia, South Korea)
+RED SAGA (2004, Gabriela Krista Dalena, Philippines)
+RISE SON (2006, Visra Vichit-vadakan, Thailand)

Each of them got 0 vote.

-------------------------------------------


-- You can read about THE INSANE from:
http://www.frieze.com/issue/review/araya_rasdjarmrearnsook/

Talking about THE INSANE (2006, Araya Rasdjarmrearnsook, Thailand), I just found that you can buy a book about Araya's recent video works from this website (if you can read Thai):
http://www.matichonbook.com/index.php?mnuid=5&selmnu=490306141046

This book, ART AND WORDS, is in both English and Thai. It also includes 11 monologues from THE INSANE. I love one of the monologues very much. It sure is one of my most favorite monologues of all time.

I copied the following monologue from the book ART AND WORDS by Araya Rasdjarmrearnsook. Listening to or reading this monologue make me think that the insane woman who spoke this monologue could have been as famous as J.K. Rowling if she was not insane. I like her power of imagination very much.

"...Then I went to stay at home. I went to help my father and mother at work, raising chickens, ducks, swans, and geese. We also had dogs, cats, a hybrid parrot, doves, we raised them all. Parrots and grackles also. A peahen came to live with us as well. It displayed its feathers and brooded four eggs. And then there was also a giraffe. The village zoo came to our house (laughs). We also raised an owl and a pygmy owlet; they all came to live with us. There were so many of them; a cat who had four kittens and the peahen had a shed full of little pea fowls. We also had pigs, a boar and a swine. They also had a shed full of piglets. And then there were the elephants, the cows, buffalos, tigers, and lions, different snakes, a rattlesnake, they all came to stay at our house. From America they came. The demon took care of them. I dreamed of having a mammoth coming to stay at our house as well, a male and female. They come from America, mammoths. They gave birth to little baby-mammoths also at our house. My father and mother asked me if I was afraid of mammoths. I said no, I'm not afraid. There were many kinds of elephants that came to stay at our hose. There was a white elephant as well. In the story Kasateriya, white elephants are used in battle. There were many elephants, a total of twenty-eight elephants, in the battle with Burma, which Thailand won. Burma set fire to Ayuthaya, Sukhothai and Thonburi. They belonged to King Bureingnong who took King Dam's sister as his Queen. King Naresuan, he is the brother of King Naresuan (laughs), and then (laughs), there is the Phayaym crow and the river crow. They also came to our house (laughs). There were so many of them (laughs). The river crow likes diving. The Phayayom crow is the prince of devils, the prince of death. He also came to live at our house. When this crow calls out in front of somebody's hose, someone in that house will die. The Phayayom crow (laughs). The river crow, he is good, the river crow. He brings good luck and good fortune. A female parrot also came to stay with us. Then there were mice, cats, they all came to stay. Elephants came, cows, buffalos, lions, tigers, bears. All our money was spent taking care of them. A very big animal, that mammoth. The mammoth with fur like silk, the male mammoth, went wild. The mammoth with the long hair went in heat and soon became a mother-mammoth. It gave birth at our house to many little baby-mammoths...."

"...A whole bunch of geckos came to stay at our house. They had lots of baby-geckos. Geckos, tigers, and bears as well. There were Siberian water-ducks we took care of at our house. We fed them bananas. We cleaned the pool and raised ducks, swans and geese. We also had fish, pearl-oysters as well, cockles also (laughs). Repugnant animals we raised as well; leeches, they were in the pool. They stuck to my leg and my mother asked me if I was afraid. I said no. I pulled them off my leg. Crocodiles came also. They were at the pool. They let me watch them mate. Elephants came to stay as well. I put fruit on two trays for them. There were apples, sugar-cane, bananas, oranges, green rose-apples, red rose-apples, mangosteen, and water-melon and pineapple. The elephants liked that, you know. They stayed at the pool. They let me watch them mate (laughs). Kootsie insects came to stay with us as well (laughs loudly while talking). We also had kootsie insects. Very fussy they were. And butterflies (laughs). Noychoo-ee chickens (laughs). If I wanted eggs I just ran outside. I had a sheep. Shrimps came, crabs, oysters, they all came to stay. There were crocodiles and alligators that came to stay with us. Kraitong came to stay as well. There was a guinea pig. Playchumphon and his wife came and stayed with us. They came but the giant Bangmut crocodile, I stepped on it...."


--Apart from the monologue in THE INSANE, another of my most favorite monologues of all time is the monologue near the end of the film THE ANDECHS FEELING (1974, Herbert Achternbusch, West Germany, A+).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071140/

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there! someone just sent me to your blog and i see my film Locomotion in Water there. That's so cool! I am very pleased indeed. Do let me know if you'd like a copy of this or my other films. do you live in Thailand? All the best, Hanna Rose Shell
hannarose@gmail.com

celinejulie said...

Hi

Thank you very much for your kind offer, Hanna. I just sent an e-mail to you today.

I’m very glad to find your comment in my blog today. I like your films very much. I saw LOCOMOTION IN WATER in February, and I particularly like the use of voiceover and images in this film. The voiceover and images in this film are not directly connected, but when they are put together, they seem to create something wonderful. I like the difference between the timeframe of the story in the voiceover and the timeframe of the images. (I don’t know if I use the right English word or not.) When the two different timeframes are combined together in this film, it seems to create some indescribable feelings and arouse some imaginations.

I also see your other films at Conference of Birds Gallery, though I’m not sure about the titles of the films I saw. The films I saw from multiple channels there consist of different sections. The names of these sections include THE STARFISH, THE FISHERMEN, THE OCTOPUS, THE RESEARCHER, THE FLOWTANK, and THE CAMERA. I guess these films may be a part of your AQUA KINEMA.

One of the things that makes your films very interesting for me is that I have hardly ever seen experimental science documentaries like your films. Your films are something new for me. I used to think that most “science documentaries” are “very boring TV documentaries”, but after seeing your films and a science documentary called TREES (2002, Sophie Bruneau, Marc Antoine-Roudil), I changed my mind forever. Science documentaries are not as boring as I thought. I made a wrong assumption about them in the past because I hadn’t had a chance to see real great science documentaries such as your films.

celinejulie said...

Sorry for my mistake. I spelled the name "Marc-Antoine Roudil" wrongly in my comment above.

PumaRose said...

Hi there! I don't think I received an email from you alas. Maybe there is a problem with my gmail account. Maybe try me instead at shell (at) fas.harvard.edu

celinejulie said...

Hi Hanna

I just re-sent my e-mail to your e-mail address at Harvard. Thank you very much for contacting me again. :-)