Thursday, April 17, 2008

SEVENTEENTH POLL: EXPERIMENTRESS

My seventeenth poll is inspired by two films I saw in March—SOMETHING HAPPENED (2007, Keren Cytter) and BY TOMORROW (2008, Tuksina Pipitkul, Thailand). I think these films can be called experimental. I love these two films a lot, so I think I should make a list of my favorite experimental films by female filmmakers.

I decided to exclude some very famous names from the list, such as Maya Deren, Pimpaka Towira, Tracey Moffatt, or Marguerite Duras. I love these filmmakers very much, but I want to make my list focus on some underappreciated filmmakers.

I LOVE THESE EXPERIMENTAL FILMS BY FEMALE FILMMAKERS VERY MUCH. WHICH FILM DO YOU LIKE?

1.ATOMIK PARK (2003, Dominique Gonzalez-Foerster, France)

2.BERLIN – EXERCISES IN NINE PARTS: DREAMING UNDER WATER OF THINGS AFAR (1975, Rebecca Horn, Germany)

3.BETWEEN (1989, Claudia Schillinger, Germany)

4.BY TOMORROW (2008, Tuksina Pipitkul, Thailand)
This film is a part of the exhibition PIG'S EYE at Conference of Birds Gallery.
http://www.conferenceofbirds.com/

Images from PIG'S EYE:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2079/2420307677_c5b382e251_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3201/2420307685_653551702a_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2398/2420307679_cee3a52e02_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2220/2420307681_3f60444894_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3248/2420307683_551e7ff385_o.jpg

5.BIRTH OF THE SEANEMA (2004, Sasithorn Ariyavicha, Thailand)
http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/2008/02/reviews-birth-of-seanama-sea-sea-part.html

6.FUN RIEM (2006, Luddawan Subpeng, Thailand)

7.FUSES (1965, Carolee Schneemann, USA)
http://www.ubu.com/film/schneeman_fuses.html

8.I'M NOT THE GIRL WHO MISSES MUCH (1986, Pipilotti Rist)
http://www.ubu.com/film/rist.html

9.THE INSANE (2006, Araya Rasdjarmrearnsook, Thailand)

10.LINEAGE OF THE DIVINE (2002, Monika Tichasek, Australia)

11.THE LITTLE GIRL (1997, Nicole Greenwood, Pantipa Tanchookiat, Thailand)

12.LIVING A BEAUTIFUL LIFE (2003, Corinna Schnitt, Gemany)

13.LOCOMOTION IN WATER (2005, Hanna Shell)
I saw this film at Conference of Birds Gallery.

14.NEWS FROM HOME (1977, Chantal Akerman)
http://www.filmref.com/directors/dirpages/akerman.html#news

15.PHANTOM LOVE (2007, Nina Menkes, USA)

16.PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR BEING AN ARTIST – ENJOY YOURSELF IN EVERY CONDITION, PART 2 (2000, Chang Jia, South Korea)
http://www.kopenhagen.dk/billeder/reportage/seoul_until_now_charlottenborg/

17.RED SAGA (2004, Gabriela Krista Dalena, Philippines)

18.RISE SON (2006, Visra Vichit-vadakan, Thailand)

19.SEEING SPACE AND HEARING SPACE (1974, Valie Export)

20.SOMETHING HAPPENED (2007, Keren Cytter)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X6XHYi44FE


You can cast multiple votes. :-)








8 comments:

Matthew Hunt said...

A half-serious observation:

In your polls, you support multiple voting, but usually I only cast one vote. This is because, while I might like several of the films, I usually like one a lot more than the others.

For example, in the Communism poll, the films by Pudovkin and Dovzhenko and Menzel are great, but Battleship Potemkin is in a league of its own (IMHO). Also, the new female experimental poll: I like Valie Export's films and Araya Rasdjarmrearnsook's films very much, but Carolee Schneemann's fuses is so important that I only voted for her.

So: is it possible to have proportional representation?! (Multiple votes, but with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice.)

;-)

Anonymous said...

หลังจากฝนหยุดตก ในที่สุดหนูก็ได้ไป C.O.B. ตามที่วางแผนไว้ค่ะ ชอบพวกตุ๊กตาหัวหมูมากๆ ไปนอนเด้งๆๆๆ หนุนๆๆๆ อยู่ตั้งนาน 5555 (คนเฝ้าแกลเลอรี่คงสงสัย อีนี่หายหัวไปทำอะไรข้างบนนานนัก)

celinejulie said...

ตอบน้อง merveillesxx

ดีใจจ้ะที่น้องได้แวะไป CONFERENCE OF BIRDS GALLERY ตอนนี้ถ้าหากต้องจัดอันดับสถานที่ที่พี่ชื่นชอบที่สุดในปีนี้ พี่ก็คงยกให้ที่นี่เป็นอันดับหนึ่งเลยล่ะ ชอบงานแต่ละงานที่มาจัดแสดงที่นี่มากๆ

celinejulie said...

Hi Matthew :-)

I don’t know exactly how the poll in blogger.com works. I guess it registers votes coming from different computer machines as votes coming from different voters. So I think if you want to give different number of votes to different filmmakers. You may try this:

1.Go to an internet café which is not crowded

2.Don’t log in to blogger.com yet

3.Vote for Schneemann, Export, and Araya

4.Tell the internet café assistant that you want to change the computer

5.At the second computer you use, you vote for Schneemann and Export

6.Change the computer again

7.At the third computer you use, you vote for Schneemann

8.By doing this, Schneemann gets 3 votes from you, while Export gets 2votes, and Araya gets 1 vote.


--The suggestion above is just a joke. Actually I think what you just did is great--commenting here about how you feel differently for each filmmaker.

--Now I know why Pudovkin got no vote. I think he is very famous, and I think many people have seen his film, so I was a little bit surprised to find that he got no vote.

--Now I think I make the right choice to exclude Maya Deren from the list, or else she would draw too many votes away from other filmmakers.

--I prefer Export’s video and Araya’s video to Schneemann’s film, but I think it is partly because I saw Schneemann’s film in youtube, while I saw Export’s video and Araya’s video in a big projection.

Matthew Hunt said...

555 A great idea! If I had the energy, I would do it.

I have also never seen Fuses (or any of Schneemann's films) projected on large screens, only on video, but she's one of the most important feminist performance artists. (There's a long interview with her - and a shorter one with Export - in the excellent book Angry Women.)

Wise Kwai said...

I can't vote - haven't seen enough of the films to make an informed decision. But thanks for the reminder about the Conference of Birds show - I need to hit the art galleries more.

celinejulie said...

Hi Wise Kwai

Hey, my poll is just for fun. You can vote though you may have seen only one film in the list that you like. :-)

Yeah, I encourage you to visit art galleries more (and it would be great if you write about them, too). I think many interesting things, especially Thai video art, can be seen in art galleries around Bangkok. The film (or video) “BY TOMORROW” by Tuksina Pipitkul may be 6-minute long, but watching it gave me much more pleasure than watching most Thai mainstream feature films.

I also wish I could visit art galleries more. The main thing which prevents me from visiting art galleries is the weather. It is either too hot or too rainy. Many times when I try to visit an art gallery, I sweat a lot because of the hot weather. Sometimes I can visit only one art gallery per day, because I have to go straight back to my apartment immediately to take a bath after that.

I’m glad that Merveillesxx visit a lot of art galleries lately. I enjoy reading his writing on art gallery visiting. I know you may not be able to read Thai yet, but maybe you can look at the photos of things in art gallery in his blog here:
http://www.bloggang.com/viewdiary.php?id=merveillesxx&group=9

On the left side of the page in his blog, there is a scroll-down bar under the title ALL BLOGS. There is a list of art exhibitions in Bangkok under that title. That’s where Merveillesxx wrote about each of the art exhibitions. :-)

Zkarid J. said...

conferenceofbirds.hi5.com Music Side .....Million Storm Of Birds..