Sunday, May 27, 2007

REPLY TO PETER ABOUT CLASSIC THAI DVDS

Since I find it difficult to make a link in the comment box, I tend to answer anyone who comments in my blog by writing a new post, so that I can make links easily. Sorry for any inconvenience.

PETER NELLHAUS has commented in my blog here:
http://celinejulie.blogspot.com/2007/05/brian-darrs-homme-fatale-list.html

This is Celinejulie’s reply:

I think three of Rattana Pestonji’s films are available as DVDs with English subtitles. They are COUNTRY HOTEL (1957), DARK HEAVEN (1958), and FOREVER YOURS (1955, directed by “Marut” or Tawee na Bangchang, but cinematographed and produced by Pestonji).

Wise Kwai wrote about COUNTRY HOTEL here:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?journalid=100000335&entryid=262601&view=public

Wise Kwai wrote about other Thai classic DVDs here:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?journalid=100000335&entryid=421033&view=public

These classic Thai film DVDs are available from the Thai Film Foundation. The website of the Foundation is at http://www.thaifilm.com/ , but the website is down at the moment. I hope it will be back again soon. When the website is back again, you can find its e-mail to contact people at the Foundation and ask them how to buy these DVDs from overseas.

Another Thai vcd which is really worth having is TONGPAN (1977). You can read the details about this film and how to order it, together with a bilingual book, from Thaicinema.org
http://www.thaicinema.org/news&scoops49_15tongpan.asp#etong

However, if you have any problems ordering these Thai dvd/vcds from overseas, you can e-mail me at bearania@yahoo.com to give me your address. I think I can buy them and send them to your address for free from time to time, maybe once every two months. :-)

I don’t know much about the Thai vcd market here. I think there might be some other classic Thai films released as vcds, but most of them have no English subtitles.

I once wrote a short comment on my favorite old Thai films in February. I think I should post it again.
http://celinejulie.blogspot.com/2007/02/lives-of-others.html

Copy from an e-mail I sent to someone

Below is the list of old Thai films that I like:

1.MUANG NAI MORK (A TOWN SHROUDED IN FOG) (1978, PEOMPOL CHEYARUN)

This film is about a family who run a hotel in the far north of Thailand. They kill many guests of the hotel to steal the guests’ money. Unfortunately, one of the guests they kill is their own long-lost son. The film is inspired by a writing of Albert Camus.


2.PRASART (INSANE) (1975, PIAK POSTER)

This film is about the lives of three women. One of them is obviously abnormal. The other two might be secretly insane.


3.CHUAA FAA DIN SALAI (FOREVER YOURS) (1955, MARUT)

A romantic tragedy story about a married woman and her handsome lover who are chained together.


4.TONGPAN (1977)

The film is about a controversial dam project and its devastating effects on the poor.


5.GARM (SEX) (1978, CHATRICHALERM YUKOL)

The film is about a girl who gets involved with a male artist who likes to draw vagina.


I think Muang Nai Mork and Prasart haven’t been released as vcds yet.

I have heard that half of all Thai films ever made have been lost forever. It’s very sad.

-------------------------------------------------

Below is a photo of Mario Maurer, the leading actor of LOVE OF SIAM, a new Thai film by Chookiat Sakvirakul.



No comments: